Canada

i was wondering if drinking alcohol effects a sore throat?

Sometimes: Alcohol can irritate the throat - especially if you are drinking a high proof without another beverage mixed in.

For throat infections, how many days should I take 250 mg of amoxil (amoxicillin)?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Infectious Disease 36 years experience
Depdns: For most throat infections, which are usually caused by viruses, you shouldn't take antibiotics at all. But if you've been diagnosed with strep throat, you should take Amoxil (amoxicillin) for the amount of time it was prescribed.

Is it a bad idea to drink alcohol if i'm taking asacol, (mesalamine) mercaptopurine, prednisone, and celexa?

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Yes: Alcohol depletes serotonin making Celexa (citalopram) not work. Alcohol causes diahrea and irritates your bowel (you apparently have inflamatory bowel problem from your meds) do you think a few hours of alcohol high is worth days to weeks of agony from ibs and depression?
LA

Bump on side of mouth but don't hurt and looks like a blister and I got big bumps on back of my tongue and throat but none of it hurts?

Dr. Howard Schneider
Pediatric Dentistry 34 years experience
Mucocele possibly: The bump on the side of your mouth might be a mucocele. It is a clear bump filled with salvia. Caused when the duct to a minor salivary gland gets clogged and the saliva backs up. Most common on the lower lip but can occur elsewhere in the mouth. Ussually resolve on their own. Some times large ones require surgical removal. Bumps on the back of your tongue are probably normal vallate taste buds.

A few days ago my throat felt "raw" like a scratchy feeling now my nose is stuffy yellow discharge, and my left glands hurt so bad!?

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Infection: You have a respiratory/throat infection. Could be viral and could be bacterial best to see a doctor. Other options to help with symptoms include taing elderberry, gargling with salt water or half and half peroxide and mouthwash (do not drink- just gargle) and a warm cloth around neck to hep with lymph glands. Important to rule out strep throat as that will improve with antibiotics.
Sedalia, MO

Could myoclonic jerks be from cervical spine stenosis. Before I fall asleep sometimes I have this jerk and I bite my tongue. Happens like once a month?

Dr. Alan Faustino
Sleep disorder: Classically myoclonic jerks are a type of rare seizure disorder, these are rare in adults. And its true that a lot of seizures happen upon waking or going to sleep. You may have a sleep disorder that explains this better. It would be wise to have a sleep study to be sure and there are treatment for these as well.
Dr. Nabil Moufarrej
Sleep Medicine 44 years experience
sleep starts are a normal phenomenon that happens at sleep onset
Aug 18, 2012