La Canada Flintridge, CA

8 yr old severe sunburn type hives on face and neck in spring. lasts 4-6 wks. extreme itch. anti-hist and top. steroids not help. is it auto immune?

Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Unlikely: I suspect that what the child had was something like poison ivy and not truly hives. It usually takes a much more potent cortisone cream to control the rash and at times even oral steroid may be needed. If this has gone away, don't lose sleep over it. If it comes back, see your doctor.
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
For questions such as this, it would be nice to have a picture to see. We'd be able to counsel the parent much better.
Mar 29, 2014