U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Madison, AL
A 25-year-old female asked:

Honestly, because of my violent and traumatic childhood, who do i see to ensure that all of my neurotransmitters work?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Clinical psychologis: Psychologist counseling is warranted. Clinical psychology is an integration of science, theory and clinical knowledge. You will be able to get help with: behavior modification, life-style counseling, progressive relaxation, guided imagery, hypnosis, biofeedback, referral to psychiatrist if needed.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Psychiatry 43 years experience
Violent childhood: I'm sorry to hear you've experienced a violent childhood -- this is more common than most people realize. There is certainly help available, though, through psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health professionals. Some treatment focus might be on medications affecting neurotransmitters, but the bulk of help will come through psychotherapies. These can affect neurotransmitters also!

Related questions

A 35-year-old member asked:
What neurotransmitters regulate pain perception?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Which neurotransmitter affects sleep mood and appetite?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 25-year-old female asked about a 31-year-old male:
Is there any thing that is called synaptic neurotransmitter?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
I was wondering what does neurotransmitters have to do with stress?
1 doctor answer8 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Does the neurotransmitter dopamine have something to do with creativity?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.