Along with ankylosing spondylitis, i have nerve pain in my leg and opposite hip. my dr gave me neurontin (gabapentin). does it just numb the nerves.

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Ronald Krauser answered

Specializes in Rheumatology

No: Neurontin (gabapentin) effects how nerve endings respond to painful stimuli. It is not a pain pill.

Answered 2/2/2015

4.3k views

Dr. Walter Husar answered

Specializes in Neurology

Neurontin (gabapentin) or: Gabapentin act in a manner as to raise the neuropathic pain threshold so that the pain is not appreciated by the brain. It does not affect the nerves.

Answered 2/2/2015

4.3k views

Dr. Dariush Saghafi answered

Specializes in Neurology

Neurontin (gabapentin) for pain: If you are saying "numb the nerves" as Lidocaine deadens the teeth for the dentist then, no. Neurontin (gabapentin) is not an anesthetic agent. It is used extensively as a pain medication in settings of neuropathy or radiculopathy as you may have but the exact way it controls pain is unknown. It may work at the level of the brain, spinal cord, or both in order to do what it does.

Answered 2/2/2015

4.3k views