U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 43-year-old member asked:

If a child is cross eyed, does that mean he is blind in one eye?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Claude Belgrave
Specializes in Ophthalmology
No: But it can mean that 1 of tue eyes might have greatly diminished vision. This child should be taken as soon as possible to a pediatric ophthalmologist. He or she will determine if glasses alone will keep the eyes straight or surgery is required.
Dr. Marilyn Huheey
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
No: Most often an eye "crosses" due to muscle weakness or preference for one eye over the other, but one can have equal vision in each eye. See a pediatric ophthalmologist as soon as it is noticed, however, as if allowed to persist it takes longer to restore the best vision. If not treated, the eye can be legally blind though not necessarily totally blind.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 40-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 14, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.