U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old member asked:

Pain in a past healed broken ankle after work out. get orthotics at walgreens?

5 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
A Verified Doctoranswered
33 years experience
Can try: You can try off the shelf orthotics and see if they help. If not see a doctor with expertise in this area. These include, orthopedists, podiatrists and physiatrists.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 42 years experience
Try it: You can try an off the shelf orthotic to help stabilize the foot, but if continues see a podiatrist for evaluation.
Dr. Rudolf Zak
Podiatric Surgery 20 years experience
Pain in ankle: Sounds like you have develop some post traumatic arthritis in that ankle. Over the counter orthotics will probably not help you. I would talk to your doctor about custom orthotics or wearing a brace on your ankle for stability.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
Would recommend: X-rays and clinical exam to exam why the ankle is bothering you. Orthotics are not a magical cure for everything. You may need more control of the ankle whereas, an orthotic has more direct effect on the arch, with a secondary effect (not as powerful) on the ankle.
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry 42 years experience
Do NOT get: Orthotics at a drug store. If you need them get examined first by a podiatrist to see if you need them and then get good ones there.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.