what is the difference between minor and major depression ?

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Minor is not a dx: Currently only major depression is a diagnosis. Minor depression is a carry-over from dsm2 when major depression was called psychotic and minor neurotic depression. Some people now call chronic low level depression minor but it is more appropriately called dysthymia. Read my chapter: what's my diagnosis, does it matter and who cares" in psychiatry in techno colors on amazon.Com.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali answered
Depression: Major depression is clinical depression, minor depression is an old term for milder form of depression called dysthymia.