Which is better to have lumineers or traditional veneers?

13 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Matthew Hyde answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Varies: Traditional veneers are generally more cosmetic and natural looking while lumineers have the advantage of less or no tooth reduction. A lot depends on the experience and ability of the dentist performing the procedure as well. I would recommend looking closely at good pictures of both types of restorations( preferably not stock photos) to see the difference and if it matters to you.

Answered 7/14/2017

4.4k views

Dr. Jeffrey Briney answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Traditional Veneers: A majority of my veneer cases are the "traditional" kind. Although each case is different, the true cosmetics of a veneer comes from the ability to add a "halo" effect at the incisal edges of the veneers. The lumineers are "prepless" which means very little to no tooth structure is removed causing the veneers to feel thicker on the front surface of the teeth. My best results come from using emax.

Answered 7/14/2017

4.4k views

Dr. Behram Dalal answered

Specializes in

It really depends on: The case and what correction (enhancement) is being sought. In addition to the two veneer types listed, there is also a new type of chair-side direct veneer system by ultradent called edelweiss, which has a lot of promise with skilled hands. Hope this helps.

Answered 6/29/2018

4.4k views

Dr. Scott Greenhalgh answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Traditional Veneers: We make all sorts of porcelain veneers. There are many kinds that work well. Lumineers can be a benefit for the right patients, they are just not for everyone. Frankly, i fix a lot of problems that come from lumineers. The key is to have a great cosmetic dentist and then have a good conversation about what you want to change and what you are willing to do to achieve it.

Answered 7/14/2017

4.4k views

Dr. Mitchell Shapiro answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Porcelain veneers: Lumineers are a brand of porcelain veneers. They promote no or little grinding of teeth in their advertising. It's best to find a competent cosmetic dentist and get his/her advice. The hands of the dentist are more important then the brand or type of veneer. Every situation is different but often no prep veneers result in bulky teeth.

Answered 7/14/2017

4.4k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Lumineers : You want a new smile, but you don't want to compromise your existing tooth structure. You may be a candidate for Lumineers instead of traditional veneers. First see an orthodontist for complete evaluation. No matter what age you are, how complicated is your situation, the orthodontics can help.

Answered 7/14/2017

3.9k views

Dr. Sandra Eleczko answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Limineers: Talk with your dentist about all of your cosmetic concerns, goals and options. Lumineer is a brand name that has been marketed for a ultra thin veneer. There are other types also. The choice of material depends on your goals, the shape and condition of your teeth and the experience of your dentist and the lab.

Answered 7/14/2017

3.9k views