Philippines

Is blood pressure of 120/90 very bad?my bp was always ranging from 120-70 up to 80mmhg.

Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
Is BP of 120/90 bad?: You blood pressure is fine. The top number, systolic bp, is more important than the lower number, diastolic bp. You are very young to have hbp. Ask your physician (p) to see if you have secondary hbp. (s) causes of this could be a renal artery stenosis, conn's tumor or coarctation of the aorta, among others. If you do have s, finding and treating its cause can get you off BP meds. Ask your p.
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
I agree with dr Rubin. Also, the latest guidelines suggest that for many people a diastolic number of 90 may be fine. But I concur that in a young person, it is important to see if something else is causing it to be high, which can also include lifestyle issues such as alcohol, diet choices and weight.
Feb 16, 2014

Last updated Jun 7, 2018