India

I have thalassemia minor (beta thalassemia) and my fiance also has traits of beta thalassemia... can we have normal children?

Pathology 44 years experience
Find out: Your fiance needs to be tested as well and you both need to sit down with a genetic counselor in any case. It's not just "can we have normal children?" the real question, "do we want to knowingly run the risk of 1 out of 4 of each of our children being born with a god-awful case of beta-thal major? What are our options? Are they acceptable to us?" this is a very grave matter.

Last updated Feb 16, 2014