Rockford, IL

Is it bad if i've had a migraine for 12 hours now and counting? i've tried pain meds, darkness, sleep, and an ice pack on my head but nothing is working.

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 46 years experience
Get back to Dr.: The persistence of your headaches is always a concern, but when you begin to undergo symptoms that are different, that is when a doctor should be consulted. I would try and think back if you have been doing anything differently in the past 2 weeks. I would document and start a pain diary- activities, nutrition, sleep, etc. Then discuss with a doctor.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
DHE45 or triptan: Go to emergency room or to urgent care to request abortive treatment. The two major prescribed abortive classes of drugs are the triptans and the ergotamines. The ergotamines may be considered for moderate to severe attacks of migraine that have not been relieved by analgesics. Take care and see headache or orofacial pain specialist for future prevention treatment.
Last updated Feb 15, 2014