U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Carlisle, IA
A 43-year-old male asked:

I have been on proton pump inhibitors for 10 years or so, is it time to consider surgery?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. You Sung Sang
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology 33 years experience
Depends: If you are on the ppi for acid reflux and doing well, then probably not. If you are not getting satisfactory relief, then that is an issue and certainly antireflux surgery is an option. Discuss it with your prescribing doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 48-year-old male asked:
How do I ween myself off proton pump inhibitors?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 21-year-old female asked:
Can proton pump inhibitors cause pneumonia?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 20-year-old female asked:
Is calmepan contraindicated with proton pump inhibitor?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
Hi docs, is it true that proton pump inhibitors are safe to use?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 42-year-old male asked:
I have to take proton pump inhibitors everyday...could I have cancer?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Nov 29, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.