Washington, DC

can anything besides vitamin c cause false neg on an fobt? months now w/dark red gunk in cracks of stool. really looks like blood but ez detect test neg. i drink energy drinks w/a lot of citric acid?

Dr. Victor Bonuel
Check out this link.: Cut down or avoid drinking energy drinks which contain caffeine which may cause stomach wall irritation and possibly small bleeding ulcer. Take care! http://www.healthcentral.com/ibd/h/waht-causes-a-false-positive-fecal-occult-blood-test.html. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=19084.
Dr. Cesar Sturla
Yes: Yes many foods can. However, if you use fit ( fecal immunochemical test ) there is no food restriction.