McDonough, GA

sharp pain in bone behind ear that radiates down my jaw and in my neck was at the doctor the other day he said my ears look fine. what could this be?

Dr. Marc Rosenthal
Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
TMJ: This sounds like tmj, or temporomandibular joint, pain. Often people experience associated bruxism, or muscle spasm of the chewing muscles, which radiates pain down the neck and sometime up into the side of the head. Soft diet and anti-inflammatories, such as motrin, are helpful. If this continues, seek the help of your dentist, or a TMJ specialist who will often recommend a bite guard at night.
Dr. Thomas Benda, jr
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 34 years experience
Sinus, eust. tube: Ear pain does not have to come from the ear. A sinus infection could produce pus that runs across your eustachian tube and cause pain. The eustachian tube can be irritated or slightly swollen and feel full, causing what we call eustachian tube dysfunction. Throat problems can sometimes cause ear pain. Pain the the temporomandibular joint, when you chew, can cause ear pain. See an ent.