U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old member asked:

Barium enema after a perirectal abscess surgery, what do you recommend?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Paul Velt
Diagnostic Radiology 43 years experience
Enema is needed: Barium is probably not the contrast media I would choose. I would perform . I would choose a water soluble media. Just in case the cause of the abscess was a hole in the bowel. Better to have water soluble contrast rather than barium. As always best to talk to the doctors
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 47-year-old member asked:
What is difference between colonoscopy and barium enema in terms of information?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
What is the recovery time for surgery (with a seton) on an anorectal abscess & fistula?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
What type of doctor can order a barium enema?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
Do you need to take Gastrografin for a barium enema?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 27, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.