U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

Do you need to take gastrografin for a barium enema?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Frank Welte
Radiology 18 years experience
Depends: Most commonly, barium is administered into the rectum (along with air) for barium enema. If there is suspicion of bowel perforation, water soluble gastrografin is used instead. Gastrografin is hyperosmolar and can cause fluid shifts (fluid moves from the blood to the GI tract) and should be used with caution in hemodynamically unstable patients. Colon is then imaged with x-rays/fluoroscopy.

Related questions

A 43-year-old member asked:
Can I take a laxative or enema instead of colyte (polyethylene glycol) powder for my barium enema?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old female asked:
What does a barium enema look for?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
How is a barium enema generally done?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
What should I expect after the barium enema procedure?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Mar 5, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.