Canada

Acne on my chin and jawline. derm prescribed accutane on first app. should i try hormonal treatment first?

Pathology 45 years experience
Your decision: I'm glad you're seeking to make an informed choice. Isotretinoin is the big guns for severe disease. A topical or systemic antibiotic, and topical spironolactone, are also possibilities. The oral contraceptive pill, if you can take it, may clear you.
Dr. Fawn Winkelman
Yes: Acne on the chin and jawline is almost always hormonal. I don't think trying Accutane before other more conservative treatments is a wise decision. Accutane is a great drug and can really help this type of acne but has a lot of risks and side effects. It is best to try other treatment first like creams, lotions, washes, facials, antibiotics, and even birth control pills.
Last updated Oct 24, 2017