Hico, TX

i got my flu shot yesterday and iv been very itchy mostly on my stomach is it a common symptom?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Influenza vaccine: Not likely. Although the vaccine was formerly made in eggs and people with egg allergy might react, that is no longer the case in usa. This may be something entirely different.
Dr. Oscar Novick
Itching: Itching is not a common symptom of a flu shot. You may be having an adverse reaction to the shot. For now take Benadryl (diphenhydramine) to stop the itching.If itching gets worse see your doctor or go to the er.
Dr. Yash Khanna
May be Allergy: It is not too common but can happen as an allergic reaction to the shot.You can take over the counter Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for itching but if if gets worse consult your doctor.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
No: Do not take Benadryl (diphenhydramine) except as a sleeping pill. Try otc hydrocortisone. See a dr if you are in distress. Reactions to flu shot are at the place where the needle went in. Antihistamine is not likely to help this, but if you wish to try it get a non-sedating one such as claratin, allegra, zyrtec. Get the generic. It is dangerous to take a sedating med such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine) except at bedtime.