My mothers cea level is 191. she has stage iv colon in liver. what is the significance of this number in relation to her cancer?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 51 years experience
It helps to monitor: Cea is a tumor marker. It is a chemical made by the cancer cells. So it reflects their growth. It guides our chemotherapy and can be a helpful indicator about the benefit or lack of benefit from chemo. You want to see it go down after chemo is started. That means she is getting well, the reverse is true if CEA keeps going up higher.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.