What does lasik mean?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Laser vision help: Lasik is an acronym developed as a sort of marketing tool since it sounds so "cool". The technique of lasik involves using a laser to sculpt the front of the eye to a new lens shape which corrects the vision. It has been refined to the point of high predictability but is still surgery and not all surgery is perfect.

Answered 1/19/2014

4.6k views

Dr. William Trattler answered

Specializes in LASIK Surgery

LASIK : Lasik is a procedure that refers to the creation of a corneal flap, followed by laser to reshape the cornea. The flap is replaced. The goal is to improve vision and reduce or eliminate the need for contact lenses or glasses.

Answered 1/25/2015

4.4k views

Dr. Mark Sibley answered

Specializes in LASIK Surgery

Lasik: I am the Tampa Bay Rays MLB Team's Lasik Doctor...The short answers is that LASIK is the High Definition Laser treatment to remove your eyeball refractive error and try to end the need for glasses or contact lenses for TV or driving

Answered 7/27/2015

2.5k views