U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old male asked:

I have a stye on my upper eyelid. it ruptured 3 days ago. the eyelid swelling is gone, but the stye itself is still quite big. what should i do?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 57 years experience
Stye: The use of a warm compress or washcloth to the affected area for 10-15 minutes, four to six times a day, can be an effective and allow rupture and resolution of the stye, and will aid in relief of symptoms. You should not press or squeeze this to promote drainage. This can spread or worsen the infection. If the stye persists despite this see an ophthalmologist and they can lance this.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 17, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.