I'm just seeking opinions! my doctor started me on zoloft (sertraline) oft depression while i'm on lithium for bipolar? can that be a good combo?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Dariush Saghafi answered

Specializes in Neurology

The combination of lithium ; zoloft (sertraline) can result in a significant side effect of serotonin syndrome whereby a sharp rise in the chemical serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter, can lead to physical ailments and problems which can be severe and even deadly. There are more minor neurotoxicities related to their interactions. You may want to raise the point to your doctor and ask opininion.

Answered Sep 28, 2016

4.6k views