Reedsport, OR

I'm just seeking opinions! my doctor started me on zoloft (sertraline) oft depression while i'm on lithium for bipolar? can that be a good combo?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Can be a bad combo: The combination of lithium ; zoloft (sertraline) can result in a significant side effect of serotonin syndrome whereby a sharp rise in the chemical serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter, can lead to physical ailments and problems which can be severe and even deadly. There are more minor neurotoxicities related to their interactions. You may want to raise the point to your doctor and ask opininion.
I wonder if the: Zoloft (sertraline) is being used for anxiety as i see that listed under conditions. That might make more sense then adding in zoloft (sertraline) for depression. There is often concern that antidepressants could raise risk for mania/ hypomania.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016