what is the survival rate when someone has lung cancer and pneumonia and is on a ventilator?

2 doctor answers
43 years experience Pathology
Know your rights: A person has a right to know when treatment is unlikely to return them to a happy life, . Insist on being given the facts. I cannot make the decision for you, but i would not allow myself to be intubated if i already carried a diagnosis of lung cancer. But it's just possible that this person has been operated recently for possible cure. Then there's a fair hope. Autonomy rules.
Answered on Jan 13, 2014
2
Dr. Craig Carter
39 years experience Thoracic Surgery
Depends: Getting someone off a ventilator would depend on the extent of the lung cancer, and the severity of the pneumonia. If they are still on the ventilator in 10- 14 days, you might want to start thinking comfort care.
Answered on Dec 25, 2018