Gruver, TX

when igf-1 is shown as high at one lab so doctor runs test at other labs until normal result obtained, which is then relied on, are any of the results valid?

Pathology 44 years experience
Screening test: Igf-1 is a screening test which if high screens for gigantism-acromegaly. Since it is a screening test, the abnormal values should be the ones taken into consideration. Perhaps there is a communication problem with your physician but this needs to be addressed between you or in a consult.
Dr. Sandra Pinkham
Holistic Medicine 53 years experience
Listen to your body: First re-evaluate why the test was ordered. It is generally looked at as an indicator of growth hormone release. If there is no reason to be concerned about high levels due to a pituitary tumor and no clinical evidence of excess growth hormone evident in the body, it is not a problem. Exercise can increase igf-1 and there is a wide range of normal.