Washington, DC

my alt is 140, ast is 40, and bilirubin is 0.3. i haven't spoken with my doctor because the results came directly from the lab. what does it mean if you have high alt, but normal ast? i'm worried.

Dr. Anne Eglash
Several causes: Your ALT, AST, and bilirubin are liver tests. These can be elevated for many reasons, such as from many medications. Alcohol is a common substance causing abnormal liver tests. Fat in the liver caused by obesity and high cholesterol are also very common causes of abnormal liver tests. There are also many underlying illnesses that can cause an increase in liver tests as well.
Dr. Tinah Canda
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Alcohol can cause it: It could reflect alcohol use. Alcohol is toxic to the liver and can cause your liver enzymes to be elevated.
Dr. Diane Minich
Possibly alcohol: Discuss with your doctor and stay off of alcohol.

Last updated Mar 9, 2017