Bloomer, WI

can i give my 4 year old children's triaminic night time cold & cough medicine ?

Dr. Susan Rhoads
No: Over the counter cold medications have no proven benefit in well controlled studies, and can cause serious problems, especially in children. In fact, it is now finally recognized generally that taking these meds in kids under 2 is a very bad idea (although deaths in infants from them have been reported for 30 years). See http://tinyurl.com/osmaxzo
Dr. Christine Hom
Cold preparations: Over the counter cold medicines do not reduce symptoms enough to risk the side effects including changes in heart rate and blood pressure. Try humidifier, lots of liquids (chicken soup!) and ice pops. And see your doctor if he is very uncomfortable. Best of luck and get well soon!