U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Brockton, MA
A 28-year-old male asked:

What labs are done to see if you have lyme disease?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 41 years experience
Thorough WesternBlot: The screen many doctors use, the elisa, only detects about half of those with lyme. A much more sensitive and specific test is the western blot, but i strongly advise doing this through ignenex in palo alto, a specialty lab, as the test offered by most other labs does not include tests for antibodies to the 31 ; 34 kda antigens, which are the most specific antigens for lyme! please see my comment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 41 years experience
Provided original answer
Even a good Western Blot isn't always positive. A thorough discussion of the challenges of diagnosis by a leading expert: http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf The most thorough discussion of tests I've seen is at http://www.betterhealthguy.com/lyme/testing Consider http://www.spirostat.com/ And a new test to consider, though it's controversial: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778482#1
Jan 1, 2014
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
Lyme tests: Usually a lyme antibody test(enzyme immunoassay) is done. If this is negative no further tests for lyme disease are done. If the test is positive or even equivocal, a second test called western blot test is done. When both tests are positive, then the diagnosis is certain. Other tick borne diseases may resemble lyme disease but will not test positive for lyme.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 17, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.