Stanley, NC

I have bipolar why does my doctor have me on lamictal and gordon, and i've seen on everything for anxiety it seems at i can is the current and amdien.

I am confused : Because i see klonopin, Paxil ; lithium listed as your medications. Lamictal is a mood stabilizer. Geodon (ziprasidone) is an atypical antispychotic. Ambien is for sleep. Both mood stabilizers and atypical antipsychotics can be used for the treatment of bipolar disorder. Most psychiatrists are shying away from treating bipolar disorder with antidepressants. Take care.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Ask your doctor: I don't know of a medicine called "gordon, " but maybe you mean "geodon?" anyway, Lamictal and Geodon (ziprasidone) may be prescribed for bipolar disorder. By "amdien" do you actually mean "ambien?" this is generally meant to be a sleep aid, not for anxiety. You need to ask your personal psychiatrist about any medications you don't understand. Best wishes.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Only half of your ?: Is understandable, so i will answer that part. First i would like to say that should always ask to be educated by your doctor regarding the rationale for your medications. Lamictal is used to prevent the depressive lows of bipolar disorder. Geodon (ziprasidone) is an antipsychotic mood stabilizer to prevent the highs and possibly some of the lows as well. They work together to keep your mood stable.

Last updated Jun 30, 2014