U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old male asked:

Recently developed numb back pain that spikes when bending. visit to a chiropractor says it's compression. what are my treatment options?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tariq Niazi
Orthopedic Surgery 44 years experience
See a Spinal surgeon: And get investigated to get a proper diagnosis made. He'll be doing xrays, mri/ct scans to make the diagnosis. Then start treating you with non operative measures with pain meds, pt, tens unit, back strengthening exercises. If no response or still getting worse, with developing neuro symptoms/signs, then surgery for decompressing the nerve by discectomy or relieving the stenosis would be advised.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 41 years experience
Several ways to help: Most back issues are self limiting but could take weeks to resolve. Try anti inflammatories like ibuprophen or Naproxen if no medical issues with use. If pain persists or worsens, see physician to make sure that this is a back issue and not something else to get the correct diagnosis ; treatment. Don't smoke, but exercise and stay trim. Most likely this is a disc issue based on description
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 30, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.