New York, NY

I went to a chiropractor because of severe headaches and his x-ray showed that i have a reverse neck curve (cervical spine). what treatment should i receive for this? will adjustments by the chiropractor help?

Dr. Thomas Mcgowan
Specializes in Family Medicine
Neck: if your headaches are from neck muscle spasms ( which would cause a reversal of your normal curve in your neck) anti inflammatories and muscle relaxants and physical therapy should help. Lots of chiropractic work is similar to physical therapy. The key though is if your headaches are caused by your neck issue.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Consult your Doctor: I don't want to be critical of chiropractors but they believe all ailments come from the spine and they treat with spinal manipulations. You need to first find cause of your headaches..Most headaches don't originate from the cervical spine and if you do not have any pain in the neck at rest or on movements of neck. It is unlikely to be from neck.Headaches can be due to many causes.See your Doctor
Neurology 53 years experience
Be very careful: Severe headaches may have no relationship to the chiropractor's X rays and may be "migraine" in cause. Some chiropractors massage base of Greater Occipital Nerves bilaterally, which may actually help, but I would NOT recommend high velocity, high amplitude neck manipulations, as there is risk of stroke or spinal cord injury. See instead, a neurologist first.
Last updated Nov 16, 2017