U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

I've got a dark floater in eye after blunt trauma, how do i fix this?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
Can happen: It sounds as if you have had a posterior vitreous detachment. This is a situation where the vitreous(jelly) of the eye detaches (not a retinal detachment), it then "crumples" up leaving dots, spots, strands of blurry vitreous; i.e. The "floater". You should have an exam to ensure the incident did not tear the retina, which could lead to a retinal detachment. Wait one year then consider surgery.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 29-year-old member asked:
What can I do about eye trauma resulting in floater?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 51-year-old female asked:
I am seeing like a sheet billowing in the bottom of my eye - i thought floaters were dark?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 25, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.