my orthodontist said that i have an unusually high palate. is that something that's bad?

5 doctor answers
Dr. Pamela Asseff
27 years experience Dentistry
Not bad: The high palate often narrows the palate. The orthodontist will usually try to widen the palate if the high palate affects how the teeth fit together.
Answered on Feb 8, 2015
1
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
15%: 15% of the patients i see have a high narrowalatal vault requiring palatal expansion. I'm pleased your orthodontist has recognized this as a problem for you that requires treatment. Trust him/her.
Answered on Dec 23, 2013
Dr. Orly Hendizadeh
12 years experience Dentistry
No: I high palate is a normal variation of human anatomy.
Answered on May 23, 2015
Dr. John DeWolf
39 years experience Dentistry
Not bad - important: That observation fits into the constellation of information your orthodontist uses to diagnose and treatment plan your case. If it presents relevance to your treatment, expect a discussion about it but it isn't inherently bad.
Answered on May 5, 2015
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
35 years experience Pain Management
Airway problems: The narrower maxillary arch and higher palatal vault leads to airway problems and potential OSAS. The good news is a narrow palate can be corrected by orthodontic treatment. Good luck.
Answered on May 6, 2015