my infant is congested coughing and has rsv should i get a vaporizer or humidifier? what is the difference

2 doctor answers
Dr. Satyanarayan Hegde
27 years experience Pediatric Pulmonology
RSV infection: None of these are useful and in fact can be harmful for a young infant. Whatever you do or not, cough from RSV infection in an infant lasts several weeks. You can use saline nasal sprays with bulb suction for blocked noses.
Answered on Dec 26, 2018
45 years experience Pediatrics
Vapor vs humidity: A humidifier (fan+filter+water) basically returns moisture to the air after the heating system extracts it. Homes up north have it plumbed into their furnace.In texas, less cold means we may need a separate humidifier.A good humidity range is 35-45% while dry heat can drop it below 20% and aggravate a kids cough. I have humidifiers in my office and home with gauges to monitor the level.
Answered on Oct 29, 2016
1