can you tell me the causes of hiv/aids?

Dr. Kathleen Mullane
Cause of HIV/AIDS: The cause of hiv/aids is an RNA retrovirus that infects cells w/a specific target called a CD4 receptor. Many of these cells function in the immune system. Once in the cell, the virus changes to a dna virus ; enters the nucleus of the cell ; binds to the dna becoming part of that cell. It then uses the cells machinery to replicate ; finally kill off the cell ; w/it the immune system of the host.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
I would add here since this is an older adult of unknown gender asking this question that in the U.S. one of the fastest rising groups of people getting HIV are post-menopausal women. This sub group of people, I think, may have forgotten that there are 12 STDs and that Pregnancy is not the only thing to worry about when being sexually active.
Dec 10, 2013
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
HIV infection: Hiv is one of five stds that can cause death. It is a virus that is transmitted from body fluids to body fluids. So, blood to blood or semen to blood. It is often transmitted during intercourse and can be contagious to either partner if one is infected. Do you know the twelve common stds? Do you know which ones are potentially deadly? Do you know how to protect yourself?