U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

Got spots on my arm, and i think its keratosis pilaris. what to do?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Patterson
Pediatrics 32 years experience
Moisturizer: Keratosis pilaris is a common chronic condition related to dry skin. It it characterized by rough bumps on the skin, usually on the outer surfaces of the upper arms, back, and upper thighs. Treatment consists of moisturizing the skin. If over the counter lotions do not help, check with your doctor as a prescription medication called lachydrin (lactic acid) may work.
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 32 years experience
Keratosis pilaris: Medicated creams containing alpha-hydroxy, lactic or salicylic acid or urea moisturize and soften dry skin while helping to loosen and remove dead skin cells. Depending on their strength, certain creams are available over-the-counter and others require a prescription. Your doctor can advise you on the best option for your skin.Cerave® sa renewing lotion exfoliates, smoothes and softens it is otc.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 48-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 22-year-old male asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Sep 28, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.