Is there a possibility of me having ovarian cancer if grandma had it?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
It is possible: Majority of ovarian cancer is sporadic. However, there is a familial type of ovarian cancer- i.e. Ovarian-breast hereditary syndrome- where people can have mutation in the brca 1/2 genes. This will give you significant risk to develop both ovarian ca& breast ca as well as other cancer. Check if there is other family members with different kind of cancers; and discuss with your doctor your risk.
Pathology 50 years experience
Possible: It is possible for a woman to have ovarian cancer, with or without family history. Inheritance of brca 1 and/or 2 increases the risk of ovarian cancer, among other cancers, e.g., breast. It would be important to consult your doctor if you have any abdominal symptoms, even vague ones.