excrutiating ankle pain working way up side to hip. history of tendonitus/probs with instep, thought had grown out of it. painful even when propped up

3 doctor answers
Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
Any pain: That is serious enough to interfere with your day today function and quality of life need to be investigated and treated promptly . The site of the pain and its distribution is a bit confusing to make any specific recommendation. I suggest that you see your doc /orthopedic doc. Good luck with it
Answered on Nov 15, 2013
Dr. Edward Hellman
29 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Possibly sciatica: There are multiple potential causes and i would encourage you to be seen. One possible cause is sciatica, which is the irritation of a nerve in the back that can cause pain in the hip and leg. An exam and appropriate studies can usually determine the cause. Thank you.
Answered on Nov 15, 2013
Dr. Payam Rafat
22 years experience Podiatry
Many possibilities: Your pain could be as a result of many different things. A thorough history and physical exam and possibly some laboratory and radiology exams are needed to determine the exact cause. Causes of pain may include: trauma (fracture, sprain, arthritis, tight shoes), infection, metabolic conditions (gout), musculoskeletal or biomechanical abnormality and neurologic conditions (neuropathy).
Answered on Mar 15, 2014