U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

how will i know if my child has a developmental delay?

3 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Darin Brannan
Specializes in Pediatrics
Developmental: Your pediatrician should be able to tell if there are significant delays. However, there are a number of assessment tool, one of the more common is ages and stages that are specific for ages and help not only assess fine, gross motor, but communication (verbal, non-verbal), socialization, etc. You could ask your doctor to use this to see where your child is compared to his or her peers.
Dr. Kathryn Akin
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 37 years experience
The PEDS screening test is also good and easy to use. The MCHAT should be used on all patients at some time between 18 and 36 months of age. These are all easily answered questionnaires given to parents to fill out.
Jul 18, 2013
Dr. Michael Coogan
Pediatrics 48 years experience
Screening: During the first few years of life, your child's doctor will examine her (frequently, at first, then less often). Neuro-developmental screening is part of each "well baby" visit. Your doctor will compare your baby's development to known "milestones" and monitor it at each visit. A helpful website: http://www.Cdc.Gov/ncbddd/actearly/index.Html.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
The two answers you: Received reflect current standard of practice, i.e., that developmental surveillance using standardized screening tests are part of every well-baby & well-child check & autism-specific screening is done at 18 & 24 mos. Otheruseful websites are the www.Aap.Org healthy children & bright futures parent sections & firstsigns.Org, for both "anticipatory guidance" & detection of possible delays.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 44-year-old member asked:

Do children in emerging nations need multivitamins?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
Pediatrics 43 years experience
May be: It does not depend on where they live in general but on their diet. If they are consuming a balanced diet that includes but not limited to fruits, vegetables, cereal, and milk products they don't need any multivitamins.
A 45-year-old member asked:

How can I feed children healthy foods on the go?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Clinical Psychology 18 years experience
Plan ahead: Plan meals a day in advance. Grab fruits & vegetables that can travel (mini carrots, celery, oranges, apples, bananas). Nuts and nut butters come in individual serving size packages that travel well and are easy to keep on hand or in car. Have a good supply of healthy snacks such as granola bars or other meal bars that your kids enjoy. Be sure to read nutritional labels and select wisely.
A 35-year-old member asked:

How can I get my child to eat breakfast if still sleepy and early?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Samuel Sadow
Bariatrics 48 years experience
Outsmart them!: To bed earlier. Try variety! eat with them! give them what tastes good like home made protein smoothies with fresh fruit juices and whey protein powder. Almond butter with toast. Avoid breakfast out of a box! make some turkey bacon. Play some upbeat music and get them going. Good luck!
A 42-year-old member asked:

How might an emergency room doctor treat a child's nosebleed?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Tosca
Urgent Care 20 years experience
Several ways: It's not any different then how it would be treated in an adult. Compression is the first thing. If that doesn't work a topical vasoconstricter (like afrin) is used. Cauterization may be attempted with an electrocautery or topical chemical cautery (ex. Silver nitrate, floseal). Nasal packing would be the last thing - but it's uncommon to have to do that with children.
A 43-year-old member asked:

When must I get professional help for my child if he has stranger anxiety?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Stewart
Clinical Psychology 44 years experience
When it's a problem.: Some anxiety (shyness) with strangers is normal and good. You want your child to be cautious with strangers. Honor the child's discomfort with anyone being too intimate. But if the anxiety is causing problems or distress in the child's life, talk to a professional as soon as possible to help decide what needs to be done. The sooner the issue is addressed, the easier it is to resolve.

Related questions

A member asked:
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Feb 5, 2015

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.