how will i know if my child has a developmental delay?

Dr. Darin Brannan
Specializes in Pediatrics
Developmental: Your pediatrician should be able to tell if there are significant delays. However, there are a number of assessment tool, one of the more common is ages and stages that are specific for ages and help not only assess fine, gross motor, but communication (verbal, non-verbal), socialization, etc. You could ask your doctor to use this to see where your child is compared to his or her peers.
Dr. Kathryn Akin
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 37 years experience
The PEDS screening test is also good and easy to use. The MCHAT should be used on all patients at some time between 18 and 36 months of age. These are all easily answered questionnaires given to parents to fill out.
Jul 18, 2013
Dr. Michael Coogan
Screening: During the first few years of life, your child's doctor will examine her (frequently, at first, then less often). Neuro-developmental screening is part of each "well baby" visit. Your doctor will compare your baby's development to known "milestones" and monitor it at each visit. A helpful website: http://www.Cdc.Gov/ncbddd/actearly/index.Html.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
The two answers you: Received reflect current standard of practice, i.e., that developmental surveillance using standardized screening tests are part of every well-baby & well-child check & autism-specific screening is done at 18 & 24 mos. Otheruseful websites are the www.Aap.Org healthy children & bright futures parent sections & firstsigns.Org, for both "anticipatory guidance" & detection of possible delays.