Santa Fe, NM

before my root canal, i was prescribed penicillin, in case there was an infection. i had my root canal and stopped the medicines. today, about five days later, i have sore throat and general malaise. is it a coincidence?

Dr. James Long
Sore throat : Tough one to answer. Certainly the pennicilin should not, of itself, cause sore throat. It could very well be a coincidence. It could be some other irritant from the procedure as well.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Probably n ot: Root canal infections do not cause sore throats. You may have caught a cold during the past few days.
Dr. Stephen Shpeen
Endodontics 38 years experience
Sore Throat: Your sore throat and gereal malaise has nothing to to with your root canal treatment. However if you start an antibiotic regimen you should finnish it. Although most sore throats are a viral infection where an antibiotic like penicillen would not be effective to treat it . So your sore throat is not a result from your root canal treatment. So see a physician.
Dr. Danni Sayman
Endodontics 18 years experience
Coincidence: Antibiotics must be taken in a 5-7 days period in order to be effective. Taking it before rc only is not recommended. You may have a cold related to your throat. You may visit ur doctor.