I have a cold sore on the left side of my tongue for a week. it hurts at night and it affects how i eat and swallow. how can i get rid of it it?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Scott Schaffer answered

Specializes in

Tongue sore: Any mouth sores should heal on there own in 10 to 14 days if there is nothing physically causing the irritation. Topical application of orabase could help it feel better. If still present in a week go to your dentist.

Answered 11/28/2017

4.8k views

Dr. Joseph Bark answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Cold sores: "cold sores, " and "fever blisters, " are both caused by the herpes simplex virus. But these usually occur on the lip skin and elsewhere on regular-type skin outside the mouth. You may have pathos stomatitis, and should consult both a dermatologist and an oral surgeon or oral pathologist to get help for this. This can also be a problem of autoimmunity, which can be more serious.

Answered 9/28/2016

4.8k views

Dr. Kenneth Grossman answered

Specializes in Endodontics

Not cold sore: Usually the side of the tongue has inflamed foliate papilla( taste buds) traumati ulcers, or apthous ulcers. Also, cancerous lesions occur here, especially with alcohol and tobacco use. There are also other lesions, less common. Try otc kanka on the area to lessen pain. If it persists, see your dentist!

Answered 10/21/2013

4.8k views