A 40-year-old member asked:
what happens if a child swallows a coin while i am babysitting? should i call the parents or er?
2 doctor answers
Dr. Alfredo Garcia answered
55 years experience Pediatrics
Foreign body: You should inform the parents immediately. If the child is choking or coughing, call 911. If the child does not seem to be in distress, stay calm and not get the child anxious or agitated. Then discuss with the parents/pediatrician what the next step is to follow. Oftentimes, smaller coins can pass through the intestines without a problem.
Answered on Oct 8, 2015
Dr. Farhad Sigari answered
19 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
ER ASAP: A child swallowing a coin needs to be dealt with immediately, regardless of how the child is acting. It needs be xray'd to ensure it is not stuck in the in the esophagus or even worse in the airway. This can be seen on a lateral xray. If it is a battery, it needs to be removed immediately! so if it happens, call the parents asap and if the child is having trouble breathing call 911 first.
Answered on Mar 30, 2012
90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:
People also searched for:
Connect by text or video with a U.S. board-certified doctor now — wait time is less than 1 minute!