if the retrograde flow of menstrual bleeding through the fallopian tube is a major mechanism for endometriosis, why don't all women have endometriosis?

Dr. David Finke
Good question!: This is one of four theories as to the cause of endometriosis. Many researchers agree with your assessment. The answer is probably that the disease process of endometriosis may be multifactorial. Retrograde flow may be part of it, but there may also be an inflammatory process which makes it more likely for the endometrial cells/tissue to attach and cause scarring. Also, it could be congenital.
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology 40 years experience
Endometriosis: We think that about 10%of the women may develop endometriosis because the inability of their immune system to digest the endometrial cells allowing for implantation.