Why is it necessary to give vitamin d supplements to my breastfed baby? doesnt human milk have all the essential nutrients for babies?

12 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Jessica Davis answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Breastmilk is complete, as long as the mother has adequate nutritional stores. Vitamin d deficiency is very common, due to lack of sun exposure. If mom has adequate vitamin d levels from either sunshine or supplements, breastmilk should be complete. One study suggests that moms need to take at least 2000 iu of vitamin d daily to allow adequate levels in their breastmilk.

Answered Jan 20, 2012

6.5k views