A member asked:

Will a doctor prescribe pain meds for canker sore on uvula?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Daniel Quon answered

Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Some doctors may prescribe a pain med for you if the canker sore is extremely large. A medicated rinse containing a mixture of a local anesthetic and other medications is often prescribed to numb the oral cavity and may provide significant relief for you.

Answered Oct 25, 2013


Dr. Scott Bobbitt answered

Specializes in Dentistry

I routinely prescribe nsaids to control pain from canker sores during the 3-5 days that they are uncomfortable. In rare cases, called "major aphthae" i will prescribe a short course of oral corticosteroid--especially if the lesion/s interfere with swallowing or speech. The uvula is part of the palate and can be very uncomfortable. If Ibuprofen doesn't control pain, call your dentist for help. G/l!

Answered Apr 24, 2016



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor