Top answers from doctors based on your search:
Disclaimer

poison ivy ingestion

A 40-year-old male asked:
Dr. Patrick Sweet III
20 years experience Pathology
Lungs Unlikely: People have been shown to have a reaction to burned poison ivy/oak. Additionally, sensitive individuals have been shown to have mucosal involvement if ... Read More
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
A 32-year-old member asked:
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
57 years experience Allergy and Immunology
See doctor: If the problem is a mild one, time will heal it. If the problem is severe, you will need to see a doctor who may prescribe some Prednisone pills or a ... Read More
3
3 thanks
A 33-year-old member asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
25 years experience Psychiatry
Youv'e stumped me: On this one. Poison ivy isn't good. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean ; re-ask this question.
Dr. Michael Sanders
16 years experience Pulmonology
See below: I didn't know there were different kinds of poison ivy?
A 54-year-old female asked:
Dr. Dora Chizea
48 years experience Anti-Aging Medicine
Itchy ...skin rash: Usually poison ivy allergy appears as itchy, red skin rash with swelling and blisters sometimes. Though there are home remedies; it might be a good id ... Read More
A 37-year-old member asked:
Dr. David Rosenthal
21 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Very itchy: Not very dangerous usually, but very itchy and uncomfortable. Don't spread it, and treat it locally.
A 25-year-old member asked:
Dr. Robert Kwok
33 years experience Pediatrics
Cortisone steroids: Steroids are usually needed for poison ivy. A doctor prescribes them after confirming the rash is really the poison oak type. For bad rashes, oral ste ... Read More
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
33 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Avoid: Poison ivy is a common form of allergic contact dermatitis to the oleoresin of rhus plants. Depending on location and severity of symptoms, mild to p ... Read More
6
6 thanks
A 33-year-old member asked:
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
57 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Not recommended: Since poison ivy is highly sensitizing, i would not advise it. You will likely tolerate the first exposure but may become allergic to it later. At on ... Read More
A 43-year-old member asked:
Dr. Duane Gels
37 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Bad to worse: Most people develop allergic contact dermatitis to the waxy oil of urushiol that makes up much of the plant resin. It is a delayed-type hypersensitivi ... Read More
2
2 thanks
A 32-year-old member asked:
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Lee Perry answered
17 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Rash: The rash with poison ivy starts 48-72 hours after exposure to the plant, and is very itchy.
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

People also searched for:

Connect by text or video with a U.S. board-certified doctor now — wait time is less than 1 minute!
24/7 visits
$15 per month