Top answers from doctors based on your search:
Disclaimer

my child has swallowed a 5p coin

A 38-year-old female asked:
Dr. Allen Menkin
58 years experience Pediatrics
If : If your child is in pain, has difficulty breathing, or cannot swallow you have an acute emergency. If your child is not having any respiratory diffic ... Read More
1
1 thank
Dr. Gary Gorlick
55 years experience Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Medical : Medical attention is needed with this history if: you are sure a coin was swallowed and there is abdominal pain or vomiting or refusal to eat or dr ... Read More
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
A 38-year-old male asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
46 years experience Pediatrics
Maybe/not: If the kid can drink. the coin (if there is one) made it to the stomach so there is no urgency. If not, it may have hung up in the swallow tube & ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
56 years experience Pediatrics
Foreign body: You should inform the parents immediately. If the child is choking or coughing, call 911. If the child does not seem to be in distress, stay calm and ... Read More
Dr. Farhad Sigari
20 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
ER ASAP: A child swallowing a coin needs to be dealt with immediately, regardless of how the child is acting. It needs be xray'd to ensure it is not stuck in t ... Read More
A 23-year-old female asked:
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
29 years experience Anesthesiology
Go to the : Emergency room. Your child is at risk for serious complications if the glass has any sharp edges.
A 28-year-old female asked:
Dr. Michael Bruck
28 years experience Pediatrics
Probably no worry: If he didnt choke on it and he just swallowed it than it should just pass without worry.
3
3 thanks
A 30-year-old member asked:
Dr. Robin Larabee
26 years experience Pediatrics
Yes: But you may have missed it in the child's stool. An xray is the only way to be sure, however most coins will pass on their own. Ask your doctor if a ... Read More
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park answered
50 years experience Pediatrics
24-36 hours: Amazingly, children pass most of the foreign bodies uneventfully.
2
2 thanks
A 30-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
46 years experience Pediatrics
Depends: If it goes into his stomach it will pass easily in the stool with no problems. If it were to end up in his airway, it would cause continuous coughing ... Read More
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alan Levine
34 years experience Pediatrics
Probably nothing: If it were a single magnetic ball, it would pass "in the end." the real problem might occur if one or more such balls were swallowed. They could stick ... Read More
2
2 comments
3
3 thanks
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
46 years experience Pediatrics
Nothing specific: It will pass through the system as an undigestable piece of debris. The myths your mother told you about this are just that, a myth.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month