U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Top answers from doctors based on your search:

How to treat a bruised thumb

A 39-year-old member asked:
Dr. Marshall Solomon
Podiatry 49 years experience
If you have blood un: If you have blood under the nail it should be evacuated by your doctor to remove the blood.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
A female asked:
Dr. Ajay Acharya
A Verified Doctoranswered
38 years experience
Yes...: If you had injury. Infection will be next possible cause if no injury.
A member asked:
Dr. Adam Burkey
Neurology 30 years experience
Cm per month: Nerves regrow at a centimeter a month, on average. Provided the trauma was to the thumb it should be in under three months provided the nerve was left... Read More
A 32-year-old female asked:
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 41 years experience
Need to be seen: You may be having an infected wound which may require prescription medications, so kindly see your doctor or go to urgent care, good luck
A female asked:
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
X Ray: If you have any of these signs: - Swelling - Deformity of the thumb - Significant pain - Inability to move your thumb - Tingling - Change in color of... Read More
A 31-year-old female asked:
Dr. Thomas Mcgowan
Specializes in Family Medicine
Hands: From your description, two common things come to mind, one is carpal tunnel which can cause pins and needles or numbness or strange sensation in thumb... Read More
A 33-year-old member asked:
Dr. Vicki Levine
Dermatology 42 years experience
Probably: Unless the door was slammed against your finger rather than the nail, your nail should eventually grow out normally. It will take several months, so b... Read More
A female asked:
Dr. Philip Miller
A Verified Doctoranswered
Family Medicine 48 years experience
Local ice/Advil: if not allergic to ibuprofen or naproxen sodium ( Aleve). You may need an x-ray.
A 34-year-old member asked:
Dr. Moonyoung Chung
Ophthalmology 26 years experience
Bruising: If bruising has not resolved after couple weeks or associated w pain and affecting mobility seek professional medical care.
A 32-year-old female asked:
Dr. Vicken Poochikian
Internal Medicine 43 years experience
See a doctor: It may be gout, paronychias, , or some other infection, insect bite etc, see a doctor to diagnose and treat
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership