Top answers from doctors based on your search:

best way to treat dehydration in elderly

A 39-year-old male asked:
Dr. Satish Sundar
33 years experience Pediatrics
Yes: Simply lack of urine, dry mouth are good signs of dehydration. This is a short and simple answer.
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis
Absolutely: Dehydration is a leading cause of abnormal lab work in an elderly patient. Dehydration can cause an elevation in a person's BUN and creatinine. Thes ... Read More
15 thanks
A 27-year-old member asked:
Dr. Robert Kwok
32 years experience Pediatrics
Many things possible: Many things are possible in life. It's hard to guess about what happened to a person, on a free public forum. A consultation with a doctor who takes c ... Read More
1 thank
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Mazin Albert
9 years experience General Practice
Turgor: You can check the volume status of elderly individual with skin turgor. The best site to check skin turgor on an elderly person is the skin on the cla ... Read More
30 thanks
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Arthur Freedman
37 years experience Radiology
Antiobiotics: Iv antibiotics are the first line approach, usually levaquin, (levofloxacin) if organism is unclear. Most of community aquired pneumonia is pneumococ ... Read More
4 thanks
A 53-year-old member asked:
Dr. Theresa Redling
33 years experience Geriatrics
Conservatively: Management of a simple cold is best managed with gentle hydration, humidification of the air and at times otc cold remedies. Nasal saline for congesti ... Read More
2 thanks
A 56-year-old member asked:
Dr. Bryan Levey
26 years experience Pediatrics
Whether conditions..: ...Are drought or you are in the middle of a lake, the way to avoid dehydration is to drink lots of water, regularly. Drink clean water, not flavored ... Read More
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Depends: The answer depends on the cause of the diabetes insipidus. Often time, diabetes insipidus is just a symptom, not the cause. The hormone involved is ... Read More
A 32-year-old member asked:
Dr. John Bucek
27 years experience Family Medicine
Varies: Hangovers are complicated. Some drinkers feel irritable because alcohol withdrawal causes the brain to be sensitive. Some drinkers are dehydrated or ... Read More
5 thanks
A 38-year-old member asked:
Dr. Ronald Krauser
51 years experience Rheumatology
It depends: It really depends on the areas of the foot involved and the severity of the involvement. Many people may be helped bu simply using arch supports or or ... Read More
A 52-year-old member asked:
Dr. Michael Sparacino
36 years experience Family Medicine
See below: This is a problem that requires a face-to-face meeting with your doctor. In that meeting, your doctor will listen to you, perform a throrough examina ... Read More
1 thank
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. Barry Press
43 years experience Plastic Surgery
Remove the pressure: The rule is "no pressure, no sore." elderly, debilitated and/or poorly mobile people are susceptible to pressure sores (bedsores) because there is too ... Read More
A 47-year-old male asked:
Dr. John Munshower
29 years experience Family Medicine
Visits and meds: The best way is to get properly diagnosed and treated, including the proper titration and medication alterations until you are controlled. Stress redu ... Read More
1 thank
A 95-year-old female asked:
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
72 years experience Preventive Medicine
Oddly enough: You might be surprised to hear that it could be poor diet! emotional reflexes are controlled by the lower part of the brain and if oxidation (the equ ... Read More
1 thank
A 54-year-old member asked:
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
35 years experience Podiatry
Anti-inflammatories: Depending on where it is, an acute gouty attack responds best to a steroid injection into the joint, possibly combined with an oral anti-inflammatory. ... Read More
A 43-year-old member asked:
Dr. Troy Reyna
43 years experience Pediatric Surgery
Water: Ensure they are taking plenty of fluids, fresh vegetables, fruits, and fiber in the form of cereals and multigrain breads. A good rule of thumb is one ... Read More
12 thanks
A 59-year-old male asked:
Dr. John Michel
45 years experience Family Medicine
A few things: Urate stones are present with hyperuricemia. This can go along with the gout. You need to make sure you are well hydrated. Diet is important and you n ... Read More
1 thank
A 38-year-old member asked:
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
46 years experience Radiation Oncology
Stress can be social: Academic, or both combined. And coping strategies are highly dependent on the students age and abilities to learn and adapt to the causes, and convert ... Read More
A 28-year-old female asked:
Dr. Paul Brand
36 years experience Dentistry
Different for people: No matter how much anxiety you have, it is always going to be different for you than it is for another person. This is why you need to work closely w ... Read More
1 comment
1 thank
A 25-year-old male asked:
Dr. Addagada Rao
55 years experience General Surgery
Best and only way: to treat hypertension , take the Rx ed medication (s) and follow the doctors instructions , that will prevent complications
A 30-year-old member asked:
Dr. William Walsh
16 years experience Addiction Medicine
Water: Surprisingly, water works very well for a dehydrated person. You do need to take in electrolytes, but you can get much of that with your food that yo ... Read More
2 thanks
A 57-year-old member asked:
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
24 years experience Emergency Medicine
Don't drink so much: ...Next time. Nothing really helps, but you should stay hydrated (with water!), rest, and eat small frequent amounts. Drinking to excess can cause ... Read More
2 thanks
A 38-year-old member asked:
Dr. Luis Villaplana
34 years experience Internal Medicine
Keep them: Cool.
A 47-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali answered
31 years experience Psychiatry
Constipation: Increase your intake of water & fiber, which are preferred to laxatives or enemas. In resistant cases, manual disimpaction is done.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits