How long do you have to wear the support underwear after hernia surgery? And is it ok i take it off for a day?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Unique question

This is not a normal situation for those of us who work in american medicine.
Most hernia surgeries are done laparoscopically and there is little to no post operative pain or problems. I would bet, however, that your surgeon gave you post op instructions that should answer your question. If they did not this is a question to direct to your surgeon.

In brief: Unique question

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian
2 comments
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Agree ask the surgeon as to why the support is indicated & how long to wear it.
Dr. Paul Harper
I almost never recommend support following hernia surgery. My repair is usually enough.
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

While some support may prevent swelling in some patients, it is certainly ok to remove it, especially for washing! i tell my patients to wear this for comfort if needed.
Hope this helps, and you get better soon!

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery