What causes flatulence odor?

In brief: Germs create gasses

The odor of flattus is derived from the gas produced by the germs that live in your digestive tract.
Methane is one common product. The character of the odor is influenced by your diet and the variety of gasses produced by separate bacteria.The germs live off what is not absorbed during digestion.

In brief: Germs create gasses

Dr. Joel Gallant
For more on this fascinating subject, I recommend "Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal" by Mary Roach. In this book, I learned that the methane in intestinal gas is odorless. The main causes of the smell are volatile sulphur compounds, which make up a very small proportion of the volume of flatus.
Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: The organisms that

Live in the intestines produce gasses.
When the gas is passed out comes the smell just like when you have a bowel movement

In brief: The organisms that

Live in the intestines produce gasses.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Adam Smith